Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Overnight Nanny

The other day, my family asked me if I would be available to watch the kids for a whole weekend in December.  I, of course, said yes!  But then they asked me my rate.  So I told them that I expect an hourly rate of $X, plus the cost of food and spending money to do fun things with the kids, if I decided to do that. They said that was reasonable.  

But today, they told me that they were no longer going away.  

I am annoyed because the money was going to be nice.  But, I can't help but think if they decided not to because the amount was so much.  My past experience was exactly what I asked for and it was fine.  

Some people argue that there should be a set rate for a weekend overnight type of deal.  I personally think that since  I am the only person in the apartment watching them, the rate should be hourly.  I've also heard of people reducing the rate when kids are asleep but what happens if there's a fire?  Or what if one of the kids wakes up...do I have to go get them?  Obviously, yes, I will.  But the price of good care should never be contradicted.  I don't want to sound greedy, but with my experience, I think that the going rate in Hoboken is comparable to what I asked.  


Has anyone ever been in this situation?  

Email me at HobokeNannySpy@gmail.com or comment below!

No comments: